Friday, September 8, 2017

Did I ever tell you about the time I had an infestation of mango fly worms?  This is a true story.  It happened approximately 22 years ago.  One day my back began feeling itchy.  Before long it felt like something was crawling under the skin on my back.  Finally I complained to Jim and had him look at my back.  He said I had lots of insect bites.  Surely the discomfort would go away in a few days.  But it didn't.  I became more and more convinced that something was alive and crawling under my skin.  Finally we began asking around in the mission community and learned there is such a thing as mango fly worms.  Never heard of them before.  A knowledgeable lady took a look at my back and showed Jim the proof that this is what I had. She told him the best way to rid my body of them was to put a coating of Vaseline on each red spot.  There was actually a small breathing hole in the middle.  I never saw it, but they described it to me.  Shortly the grubs began popping their head out through the Vaseline, searching for air.  Jim grabbed one with the tweezers and gently pulled it out.  Time graciously dulls the memory, so I can no longer accurately report how many there were.  Probably ten or twelve.  They didn't all come out that first evening.  It took two or three days to rid my back of my unwanted, uninvited guests.  To this day, it makes my skin crawl to think about it.

So how does one get mango fly worms, you ask?  All too easily as it turns out.  Mango flies do not lay their eggs on humans, but on damp grass or damp clothing hanging on the line to dry.  If said clothing is brought in before it is completely bone dry, the eggs not only live, they hatch and burrow into the nice warm flesh that is next to the clothing they are on.  So we became very vigilant about our cloths.  All these years later we still insist that things have to be bone dry before they come off the line.  Even if they have to be hung back out tomorrow, they must be dry.  Since the domestique who worked for us back them was not  one of the most educable people we've ever meant,  we gave her the task of ironing every article of clothing she took off the line, including our underwear.  And thus we have managed to live happily ever after.

1 comment:

  1. A friend who ministered in Korea told me a similar story of worms she got from laundry as well. She told me that from that point on she ironed her clothes so she would not get the worms again.

    ReplyDelete