Saturday, January 26, 2019

The older we get, the more the "outer man is wasting away" (and believe me when I tell you it's a wasting!) the more clearly we see what life is all about.  What's that saying?  Too soon old, too late smart?  There is merit to that saying.  We live it more and more every day.  But the other part of that verse from God's Word says that the inner man is supposed to be being renewed every day.  And that's MY responsibility.  Am I sitting in my proverbial rocking chair, knitting away my remaining days?  Or am I tying up the loose ends of what little mind I have left and investing it in the Kingdom? The choice is mine.  Today.  There may not be a tomorrow.  That's what comes sharply into focus as the years fly by at warp speed!

Take Mama Alice as a good case in point.  My strength is fading.  I no longer leap over tall buildings in a single bound.  I can't even step over little rocks without tripping!  Things I used to do without a backward glance are now on my ever growing list of "I can't do this anymore".  I'm not complaining, mind you.  I rather enjoy being the oldest one in the room.  (That's the unintended consequence of marrying a younger man!) Age has privilege.  I am not consider to be a "dictator" when I delegate.  People cut me lots of slack cuz I'm old.  They willingly wait on me.  And they don't think it strange when I assign myself the task of going back upstairs to take a mid-morning nap in my room.  It's normal.  Old ladies need more sleep.  

I don't live in La La Land. I am well aware of the fact that I am describing life in Darkest Africa for the aged.  This country has always respected age.  People run to the elderly to get their advice, to tap into their (assumed) considerable wisdom.  As an older woman, I find it enjoyable to be honored.  And I know that in my home country it is often quite the opposite.  Next time I cross the Big Pond to your side, it's possible that I will be relegated to the "funny-duddy-old lady" category.  I have not forgotten life in the land that values New And Improved above Tried and True.  I understand my home culture.  I don't always agree with it, but I do understand where people are coming from.

Increasingly people are coming to me, seeking my counsel and advice.  It is not uncommon to have from one to three or even four counseling sessions every single day.  I do more listening to people's problems and giving them counsel than anything else.  The only advice I have to offer from my long and varied life, and the wealth of experience that comes from all the adventures I have lived, comes from God's Word. The only suggestions, help, advice, or counsel that I can give is rooted and grounded in the One Who is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.  What a high and holy honor to point others around me to my Lord and Master.  

Color me weird, but I love growing old.  I love being available to minister to people at deep levels.   I love investing this phase of life in the Kingdom.  And I love knowing that my days are numbered.  It gives me a greater sense of urgency, of seriousness of purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment