Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Many, many years ago, when we got married, I knew how to boil water.  Oh, and I could also make a Thanksgiving dinner from scratch.  That's right, everything from the turkey and dressing to all the pies.  

When my oldest sister was nineteen  she asked our mother if she could make the Thanksgiving dinner all by herself.  Our mother was not a cook so she was happy to turn the chore over to someone else.  The following year when my middle sister was nineteen our mother let her know it was her turn to cook the Thanksgiving dinner.   This was now our family tradition.  So that next year when I was nineteen of course it  was my turn to cook the big Thanksgiving dinner.  I pulled out all the stops.  I cooked for an entire month and froze things.  I made place  cards and menus.  I posted house rules and made everyone dress for the occasion.  I invited relatives.  You see, I was trying to impress everybody with my new found skills.   I had inherited my mothers cooking skills, or lack thereof.  My meal was a smashing success.   But I still didn't like cooking so reverted back to boiling water.  Period.  

To this day cooking is still not my thing.  Except for Thanksgiving dinner.  I just love preparing that feast.  So we are having lots of fun getting ready for the big event on Thursday.  We are right on schedule.  It should be a smashing success.  

No comments:

Post a Comment