Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The internet is back on so we are back in the blogging business.

The house is spilling over with surgeons!  They are in town for their annual Pan Africa surgeons meetings.  These are held in various member countries so it is a real honor to have them in Cameroon this year.   These surgeons are being housed all over the city.  Their meetings are being held at the Congressional Palace and is the biggest event going on at the moment.

One of these doctors is a good friend of ours.  He consulted with me when they first arrived and recommended some blood work, and thus started another adventure.  Life is never simple out here.  Monday found me at Centre Pasture, the best lab in town.  I took a number and settled in for the long haul.  Four hours later my number was called.  That meant I could advance to a bench in another location and begin a half hour wait.  Then it was my turn to go into one of the five little rooms where money is collected.  My particular exam cost 13.500 F ($24).  They told me to return on Tuesday before 7 a.m.  Two people stressed that I must be there before seven.  So I was.  Only to be told that my particular exam would not be administered until 8 a.m.  Many little children were getting vaccinations. Their screams could be heard everywhere.  OnDe little girl looked to be about three years old.  She was so darling.  She came out of the room with her little band-aid covering the injection site.  She held that arm out stiffly from her body as she bravely marched out with her daddy.

Promptly at eight I went into one of the little rooms and had two small vials of blood removed from my arm.  Then I was told to return at 2 p.m. tomorrow to get the results.  I'm praying that I will have everything in hand to show our doctor friend before he leaves when the week is over.  

Did I mention that nothing is ever easy here?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment