Friday, March 2, 2018

We've gotten the official word now.  Harmattan ended on February 11th this year with that terrific storm that blew in out of nowhere.  That's waaaaay earlier than anybody can ever remember.  Normally we battle Harmattan dust and grit until mid-March, give or take.  But hey!  We're not complaining!!

And yes, we are knee deep in Spring housecleaning here at Shiloh, which  is still one of my very favorite times of the whole year.  (I know, I know, I'm a little bit crazy.)  Last year we declared that our sheer curtains in the living room and the dining room could last one more year, and then we would simply have to break down and buy some new ones.  So on Monday I'm trekking across town to my favorite market, which is also the largest market in all of Yaounde, and doubles as a thief's market. You can get absolutely everything there.  (Well that's not strictly true, but you get the idea.)  I'm taking Guy's wife Marie with me.  She's real good at bartering.  I'm not too shabby myself, but it's always best to go with someone.  A white lady walking through a crowded market all by herself is an open invitation to every thief for miles around.

We also promised ourselves that we would buy new curtains for the office doorway and for the upper hallway doorway, too this time around.  They are really shabby looking after ten long years of good, hard use.  But that will have to be another month.  One thing at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment