Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Mama Alice,” he said, “you and Papa Jim have taught me everything I know. When I came to you I had only known the Lord for two weeks. I still had one foot in the world and one foot in Christianity. If anything had gone wrong, if I had lost my job, I could so easily have gone back into the world. And today I would be very far from God.”

It was not easy at first. You were very hard on me. I didn't understand what you were doing, why you were so tough. But now I know. Now I am a husband and a father. I am trying to train my children. I know a parent has to be hard on his children sometimes if he wants them to turn out well. I look back now and I can see so clearly all that you were trying to teach me. And now I am busy teaching others. Not just my own children, but people in my church as well. As an elder I counsel many people. And always I remember the things you and Papa Jim have taught me.”

And look at Doris,” he said. “She has changed completely, too. If you and Papa Jim were to die tonight, you would go to Heaven in peace, knowing that you influenced two people's lives. Doris and I are strong in the Lord today because of all you have done for us. If for no other reason than the two of us, you would know that God really used your lives here in Cameroon. We are proof of that.”

All parents long to hear their children say “thank you.” Our cook Francis has found a beautiful way to thank us for our investment in his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment