Sunday, April 2, 2017

It wasn't our regular preacher today.  Asked how many of us had ever read the Bible through.  Many hands went up.  Two times?  Some hands dropped.  Five times?  Ten times?  Many hands were down now.  How about twenty times?  Thirty?  Only four hands left.  

Couple of weeks ago the young man I meet with asked me how I know so much about God and the Bible.  Told him I was born into a Christian family.  My parents took me to church in their arms.  When the doors were open, we were there.  When I was twenty one I attended Bible school.  Then we had a pastor who began in Genesis and slowly went through the Bible, studying one verse at a time.  Our Bible knowledge really grew under his instruction.  But what helped me the most was to read the Bible.  Simply read it.  Read some each day.  And before you know it, you have read it all the way through.  Then just start over again.  Told him many times people have tried to tell me this or that about God or the Bible.  But they are wrong.  I hand then a Bible and ask them to show me.  They fumble around and say if they had their own Bible, they could find it.  I tell them that's not true.  It's not in God's Word.  He never said that.  It's contrary to His teaching.  Being saturated in the Word is the best protection against false doctrine.

So how many times have you read the Bible through in your life?  Start today.  It's never too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment