Monday, November 28, 2016

The best way to tell about our trip to Bandjoun for Thanksgiving is to start with Rachael's report on the things that happened prior to our arrival.  When she talks about "Thanksgiving guests", that's us.  Rachael is a young school teacher, living with Ellen, a career missionary.  She teaches Ellen's adopted Cameroonian daughter, Doris.

> Rachel's perspective, Nov. 23, 2016:
> What a day! To those of you who prayed for me today, thank you! I would never have imagined when I went to sleep last night all that would happen in the next 24 hours. Yet throughout it we saw that God was in control. I woke up at 5:30 AM to hear Etienne, our guard, and Ellen crying out, Brie (the dog) was dead. Brie was an amazing watch dog. No one would ever come on our property with Brie's fierce bark, yet she never bit anyone. We were always alerted to everything going on. She was truly a good friend that was hard to lose.
> Brie was poisoned. During the night, Etienne heard some noise but looking around our property saw nothing. Someone must have thrown some food over the fence containing poison and Brie, who loved food, ate it. She threw up by Ellen's truck and then laid down and died. The blood coming out of her mouth was a sign she was poisoned. Etienne found her lying there in the early morning. Ellen, Doris, and I all cried. Not only had we lost a friend but we were afraid for our safety. Who would poison a dog but to go for the house next?
> After Brie died, I cried and cried as I had my devotions. God was so good in giving me promises from His Word. "He will never leave us nor forsake us." "When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I." "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." I felt this ache and heaviness in my heart, like how could anything possibly be worse. But it did get worse. Yet God was with us.
> Thankfully Ellen went to the police, which was important as we made their contact for what would happen tonight. Doris and I stayed at home making preparations for Thanksgiving tomorrow. Because of the security issue, Ellen made contact with a Christian dog breeder and veterinarian, Asong, who had a dog already for her--a 7 month old German shepherd. After prayer meeting we brought her home. She is terrified at the present especially after what happened tonight, but we are praying she will make a good watch dog.
> Etienne was coming to work when we arrived home. He helped us unload the dog and went back to get his phone. Thank the Lord he went home. (He lives next door.) His fiance Sheila was tied up by 2 men. These 2 men had been seen by Etienne and another good neighbor Jean Baptist wandering around the neighborhood the previous day. As strangers , they were wondering what they were up to. Well, now we know that these men poisoned Brie, interrogated Sheila as to the whereabouts of the "white woman," and wanted money.
> Poor Etienne and Sheila really "took the beating" for us tonight. In the process of the nightmare of an evening, Sheila escaped and came running to our house, tied with packaging tape. She was so traumatized that she lay on the kitchen floor vomiting into a bucket. Etienne was hit in the mouth and bled much. As many as 20 or 30 neighbors gathered on the street. The police came. The 2 bandits were captured.
> We are staying here tonight with Etienne and Sheila staying with us for protection. Tomorrow we will go back to the police.
> It was a terrifying evening. Yet we still have much to be thankful for. Thankful for missionary and national friends who were praying for us. Thankful that Etienne went home and found Sheila before something worse could have happened to her. Thankful that although Brie is dead, no humans were killed. Thankful for good neighbors who stick together in time of need. Thankful for a new dog that God immediately provided. Thankful for the police and their willingness to come tonight. They are also patrolling the area tonight. Thankful that Doris was staying overnight at another missionary's house and did not have to witness this whole ordeal. That our guests for Thanksgiving had not yet arrived. Thankful that our house is safe.
> Perhaps you wonder reading my list of thank-yous how I can be so calm when so much bad happened today. Well, I have never been so afraid in my life. Yet I must assure myself God is in control. No matter where I am something bad could happen to me. I am only safe because God is watching over me. God gives strength and peace as we're going through a trial. Although I have many unanswered questions I know that God is still God. He won't allow anything to happen to us that is not in His plan.
> We would all appreciate your holding up our house and neighborhood in prayer tonight--for safety, peace, and wisdom. As we all celebrate Thanksgiving tomorrow, we truly have much to be thankful for. I feel like today I lived one of those nightmare stories that happen to missionaries that you read about in books. Yet just as true as the reality of today was, so is the reality that God is with us. In His peace I rest tonight!
> "Above you are God's overshadowing wings,
> Underneath you are His everlasting arms,
> All around you the angel of the Lord encamps to deliver you,
> Inside God's peace that passes all understanding guards your heart and mind."
>

 

No comments:

Post a Comment